Impatient or an over-achiever?

Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Henry is likely a little bit of both (or maybe a lot bit) considering both daddy and I are rather impatient sometimes, and have attempted to over-achieve once or twice in our lives. Anyway, the point of this post is that our 3 month old baby has his first two teeth. I suspected he was teething, as he had begun to drool and was chomping on his fingers non-stop for the past 2-3 weeks. After one really fussy night last week, I decided to take a peek in his mouth to see what was going on. Sure enough, I saw two little white spots, and by Saturday, they had broke through his gums. Yes, our 3 month old has teeth. If you refer to the chart below, you will see that 3 months is a tad bit on the early side.



After reading up on teething, it seems that once the teeth do erupt, that that is somewhat of a relief to the baby, as it's everything before that that drives them nuts and makes them fussy. However, other than a few nights here and there, Henry wasn't really fussy at all, which is why teething was my last guess at what was going on.

I'm still exclusively breastfeeding, and no, I haven't been bitten yet. Unfortunately, my supply has really tanked in the last week. When I first went back to work, I was getting about 13 oz and Henry was eating 12 oz. After a few weeks, it dropped to 9-10, and now, today, I pumped a meager 7 oz and had an extra 2 in the fridge, and Henry is eating 13.5 oz and probably well on his way to 15 oz while at daycare. Bottom line is I need to pump one side in the morning, pump three times at work, pump before I go to bed, and pump again the next morning to have enough milk for him for the day. It really, really sucks because I feel as if my body is failing him after only being back at work for a little over a month. I read a lot online last night and it seems the herbal supplement "Fenugreek" is well known and has been used for centuries to increase milk supply. We picked some up from GNC last night and I'm going to give it a try. It says it can take anywhere form 24-72 hours to "kick in, and so far, no luck yet. Hopefully I'll have a success story like the many I read online. The one side effect (which is one super odd side effect to have) is that my pee and sweat will smell like maple syrup (too much information, I'm sure), and my milk/Henry's spit up may smell that way too.

My eyes are having trouble staying open and I have to get that pumping in, so this completes this post.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design