A friendly PSA (Public Service Announcement).

Tuesday, December 8, 2009
I am obviously a supporter of breastfeeding, as I exclusively nursed Henry for exactly 4 months and 3 days. In books I've read, websites and message boards I've read, and the vibe I've gotten from real life people, some people are a little too intense about breastfeeding and make those who feed formula feel like crap. I totally understand the benefits of breast milk and I'm glad that I can continue to provide that for a little while longer for Henry.

However, formula is not poison. It is food. My body couldn't keep up with Henry's needs, and rather than starve my child and continue him down a path of not gaining proper weight, it is necessary that I supplement with formula. Is it unfortunate that my body didn't get us exactly to our goal? Yes. Does it make me feel any better when people say "Aww, that's too bad." when I explain I am supplementing now? Absolutely not. Though you may mean well, do not tell me "That's too bad." It's not too bad. I'm nourishing my baby, and it just so happens that he gets two kinds of food now. I was strictly fed by formula, and I'm a perfectly healthy, smart, and creative person--characteristics that I do not attribute to what I was or wasn't fed as a baby.

Thus, please watch what you say to me when it comes to the issue of supplementing. If you throw in your two cents about formula, it may not be met with much politeness on my part.

Also, since beginning the formula, Henry gets about 1-2 bottles of formula out of his 6-7 feedings of the day, so not too shabby. The fact that I am no longer stressing about how much milk I'm getting is actually helping me get more milk during certain parts of the day, and I feel much more relaxed in general knowing that no matter what, Henry will be fed appropriately.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I am right there with you!!! I have to supplement with formula for my daughter also and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. People have given me a hard time about it, saying I shouldn't supplement it only makes it worse blah blah blah... What makes it worse is when my daughter is trying to nurse, but instead is crying and throwing her arms and legs around because nothing is coming out and she is still hungry!

There is no shame in supplementing. Samantha will be 6 months old in 2 weeks, and by that time I will probably only breastfeed once or twice a day. Like you, my body just can't keep up with my little ones hunger needs.

I totally agree with you on all of this, great PSA!

Jenna said...

thanks! good to hear i'm not the only one struggling through this!

Amanda Kelley said...

I couldn't agree more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design