My baby might be perfect, but I'm not.

Thursday, June 24, 2010
Since Henry is so close to one, I've been reflecting on the last year, all that we've been through, and how I have evolved as a parent in just 11 short months. Here's the shocker: I am not perfect. Before he was born, I pictured myself being that "Ohmygosh, be careful, watch his head, you're going to break him, buckle him up extra tight in the stroller, change his diaper every hour, breastfeed for at least a year or he will suffer, don't let the puppies near him" sort of mom. Turns out, that's not me, and here are some of the reasons why.

1. Breastfeeding didn't work out exactly as planned. He was exclusively breast fed for 4 months and 4 days, and then I came to the quick realization that I wasn't providing enough for him and that continuing any longer without formula WOULD cause him to suffer.

2. The dogs lick him, and he's put a dog toy/chew chew in his mouth more than a time or two.

3. Unless they are clearly dirty, I don't always remember to wash his hands that much. AHHH, I know!

4. He wears disposable diapers. I have a lot more going on in my life than just being a mom. Washing poopy cloth diapers every day just doesn't fit in with my life. He'll be potty trained soon enough.

5. We have the TV on as background noise a lot. I've been trying to be better about turning it off now that I've been home, but he's seen the TV. All that stuff about "No screen time before 2 years"...umm, yeah, not happening.

6. He goes barefoot a lot. He has super tall pudgy feet and shoes are hard to fit him. Plus he prefers to walk and is more confident in his barefeet. So he is barefoot in the grass a lot. This also totally helps him to not grow up being sensitive to such things. I know 5 year olds that refuse to go barefoot in grass or sand because it's such a sensory overload for them.

7. The house still isn't totally baby-proofed. We don't have corner pads on the end tables/coffee tables. We only have one baby gate at the bottom of our main stairs. I guess other than that, there's not a whole lot to babyproof in our house. Most of it is done by chasing him around and helping teach him not to touch the dog water, the laptop cord, the doorstop, etc. It provides opportunities for more interaction, language, and teaching, so it works.

8. He goes to daycare. He doesn't get to stay home with me always. The kids at daycare love him. They hug him, kiss him, hold him, etc. And I'm ok with that. I love it, in fact. 

Here's the other shocker: He's had one ear infection, one fever, and various runny noses in nearly a year. No vomiting, excessive ear infections, fevers, weird rashes, respiratory issues, and battle wounds that basically amount to scratches he's given himself.

Have we been lucky? Maybe. Is he a super baby? Yes. Will our next child give us a run for our money? Probably.

All I know is that there is no one right way to parent, and everyone does everything their own way that works for them. Despite the above list and probably other things I have forgotten about or won't disclose, we have a perfectly happy, awesome, healthy baby, who, aside from his small guy size, is right on track.

As always, no post is complete without a photo: Playing with his denim disposable diapers. I'll look back on this photo and laugh always...about his look and the admittedly ridiculousness of the denim diapers (and the fact that I purchased them). But, whatever.

IMG_6422
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design