Week 34, Week 35, and our first trip to the hospital.

Sunday, September 11, 2011
Oh I know. I've been slacking on the pregnancy side of this blog.

Here's week 34:

Untitled-1


and here is week 35, looking really fresh at 10:00pm or so at night after returning home from labor and delivery.

Untitled-1


So I've been having the practice contractions (if that is what they are) for quite a while now. The belly gets super tight, nothing unbearable most of the time--I just feel so tight that it's uncomfortable to move. Well, Friday night just as I sat down to eat delicious Little Caesar's pizza, I had three right in a row. I thought it was a bit odd, so I started watching the clock and taking note of how many more I had. I proceeded to have about 6 in just under 30 minutes  (they say to call when you have 6 in an hour). So, I called (especially because they felt more crampy than usual). They told me the standard "Lay down, drink lots of water and see if they go away in 30-45 minutes". I did all of that, and they still didn't go away. I still had 4-5 in the next half hour, called again and was finally asked to come in to be monitored. I had about 4 in the 20 minutes it takes to get to the hospital from our house, and by the time I was all hooked up to the monitors they were 3-4 minutes apart and lasting about a minute. Again, not painful, but clearly timeable.

Fortunately for us, our own doctor was the one on call (as I haven't met any other doctor in the practice that I like better than him--aside from the now retired doctor who delivered Henry). As I was JUST 35 weeks, they gave me a shot of terbutaline (basically a muscle relaxer) to stop the contractions. If they were real labor contractions, chances are it wouldn't have worked. After the medicine kicked in, my heart started racing (which was normal) and my contraction line on the monitor essentially flat lined. I also got a bag of fluids too (yay for IVs). At some point she checked me for dilation and I am at zero--which is great! So that was a good sign. Baby Claire is also head down (not that it matters) and still quite high up.

Thus, I was sent home around 10pm and told to call under the following circumstances:

-If I again have 6 contractions in an hour
-Suspected leaking/water breaking
-Hard contractions that take my breath away

I was not ordered on bed rest--just to simply "take it easy". Throughout Saturday and today the contractions still came and went. At about 3 separate points throughout the weekend, they came frequently enough that they were 5-6+ in an hour. I laid down after the first instance Sat. morning and they seemed to go away. It happened again this morning, and then after laying down, they seemed to go away. Earlier tonight, I had 6 in an hour again, laid down for awhile, and still had about 4 in 30 minutes of laying down--so I called again.

This nurse was a doofus and pretty much told me I didn't have to do anything if they were just coming and going all weekend. It's like she wasn't listening to me when I told her they were 3-4 minutes apart on Friday and had to be stopped with terbutaline. So she asked what I was comfortable with and said "Well, you can come in and be monitored if you want, or we can page the doctor and see what he thinks.". Since I knew it was still my doctor on call, I opted to get his opinion before we went in again.

What was worrying me is that anytime I tried to sit up, stand, walk around, and actually do something (like laundry, put things away, bend over, etc.) I kept getting contractions. I told my doctor this.

He said to go on with every day living, and if at this point labor starts, they wouldn't stop it as they apparently wouldn't want to pump me full of meds this late in the game, so close to the "magic" 37 week mark. He did say if the contractions started to take my breath away, to call right away, but at this point thought I was fine to wait it out. As of right now, they are still coming and going, and feel really, really tight at some times, but are not "taking my breath away".

I have to call tomorrow morning and make a follow up appointment (hopefully getting in with my own doctor) and I would assume he will likely check for any change in dilation again. If I'm still at zero, I'll probably rest easier knowing these are just annoying contractions that aren't ready to do anything yet but annoy me. Either that, or maybe we are on our way to a September baby instead of an October baby. However, as scary as Friday night could have been, I still have a chance to make it to October 10th--there is just no way of knowing how long I could go. If there's anything newsworthy from tomorrow's appointment, I'll be sure to update. I also have an already scheduled appointment on Wednesday--which is my "pre-op" appointment. Not sure exactly what it entails, but I know it will be slightly different/longer than a regular 8 minute appointment. The nurse who took care of me on Friday night said that once I start to dilate, that they would do the c-section, as they don't want me going into actual labor (though she didn't specify at what magic number they would say "ok, time for the c-section)--I'll ask my doctor that quesiton tomorrow.

On the rest of the pregnancy front, I am super uncomfortable. Aside from the contractions, Claire is often hanging out in my ribs, my belly is ginourmous and it's hard to move, no matter what means/way I am trying to move. My legs ache like I've never felt before, my lower back is killing me, and there is no comfortable spot/position for me to be in at work. If I stand, my legs hurt bad, and really fast. If I sit, my options are chairs built for 3-4 year olds or the floor--and while it's easier to get off the chair than the floor, they are equally incredibly uncomfortable. I may move my office chair into the classroom this week and roll around in it :)

Aside from ALL of that uncomfortableness, I'm not ready to be not pregnant yet. I want Claire to stay in a bit longer (preferably as long as possible--October 10th)--but I'll take any time after 37 weeks (which is less than 2 weeks away). The last thing I want is for her to need to spend time in the NICU. I can't imagine going home without my daughter. PLEASE let there be zero dilation tomorrow!

Considering the scare we had, we got our butts in gear this weekend and dug out all the big baby gear (car seat, bouncy seat, swing, pack and play, newborn toys, etc.) and set it all up--moved some of Henry's stuff into the closet for more room, did some general organizing and cleaning and bought some newborn diapers (which, by the way, I forgot how small they are!). We should be set on all basic needs for whenever Claire decides to come, aside from our stroller that we haven't clicked "Submit order" on yet.

Exciting stuff for the week: our neighbors are throwing us and another couple in the neighborhood who just had a baby last month a Baby-Que shower on Tuesday night. Should be fun! It might be our last day of decent weather. It's supposed to go from a high of 90 tomorrow to a high of 70 on Tuesday and then down to 59. Hello fall!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design