Claire's Birth Story

Wednesday, October 12, 2011
This will be shorter and less eventful than Henry's long birth story (be reminded here). We had to report to the hospital at 6:30am and we were scheduled to have the c-section begin at 8:30am (or a cut time, as my mom says they call it).

The nurse (whom I wasn't impressed with at all) gave me a gown right away and I was hooked up to the monitors within 15 minutes. Ryan scarfed down some McDonalds breakfast that made the entire room stink.

After the monitors were hooked up, the nurse tried to start my IV and failed. She then called another nurse, who tried to start my IV, and failed. Ouch. The second nurse tried a 3rd time and finally was able to get it in. I also had my blood drawn one last time. I was only there for 30 minutes and had been poked 4 times.

At about 8:15 or so the anethesiologist and his team came in to introduce themselves. I loved them. They were super nice and very informative. Up until this point I was super nervous about the spinal block because before they explained it to me I had no idea how it was different than the epidural I had with Henry. My mind was eased a bit when the dr. said the needle was a lot smaller, and all it was was a quick shot. He said I would feel numbness within 30 seconds, as opposed to the usual 10 minutes it takes for you feel it with an epidural.

I can't quite remember what time I was taken back to the room (I got to walk by myself with the nurse anesthetist). He was super nice. At this point I was crying nervous tears (which were made worse by giving everyone hugs and having to say goodbye to Ryan until I was completely prepped--that meant no hand holding while I was getting the needle in my back).

Once I got in there, they were ready to do the needle within minutes and it actually wasn't bad at all. I think it was one prick and a little bit of pressure as I had to arch my back and push up against the needle while they had it inside me. He wasn't kidding. I was numb within 30 seconds and pretty soon could feel absolutely nothing. The strapped up my arms, situated me on the table, put up the drapes and prepped my belly area (not sure what that involves, as I obviously couldn't see), and put in the catheter.

Ryan was brought into the room and my first thought was for him to take a test picture and make sure he had decent camera settings going. After that, the doctor and his assistant started and I felt nothing. I remember feeling tons of pressure with Henry, but not this time. I didn't even know they had started. I was pretty relaxed at this point and then completely emotionally lost it once they said Claire was coming. A little push on my belly and the doctor pulled her out at 9:10am, screaming at the world. She weighed 8 pounds even and was 18.5 inches ( a full inch shorter than Henry), but only 5 ounces less than Henry and she was born 2 weeks earlier than he was.

I actually got to semi hold her with one arm for a few minutes (with Henry they only held him over by me). Ryan took lots of pictures, cut the cord, and looked behind the blue curtain (even though he said he wouldn't this time--he says he can't describe what he saw.)

After she was all wrapped up, Ryan was able to go with her to the nursery and finish her initial assessments. It took about 25 minutes for them to stitch/staple me back up. I was much more with it this time. With Henry, I was super out of it, shaking, and had really bad nausea the entire time. I felt pretty calm, relaxed and put together. I got to hold her right away when we got into the room (although the nurse that I was still not impressed with wouldn't let me sit up right away, so I couldn't really get a good look at her face). The nurse seemed to take her sweet time doing whatever she needed to do and then finally put me up so I could nurse. I bet I didn't nurse until I had been in the room for 20 minutes or so. With Henry, I nursed immediately once in the room.

After we finished nursing (which she latched on like a champ and it didn't even hurt!), the grandparents and Auntie Liz got to come in and see her and take turns holding her.

Chris brought Henry over around 5pm. We took a video of it and a bunch of pictures. He was pretty overwhelmed, as there were a ton of people in the room, he's never been to a hospital, I was laying on a strange bed holding a baby, etc. etc. But he eventually touched her hands and toes and gave her an ever so gentle kiss on the head. We choose to not have him come back here and that we would continue the transition of new baby into his life at home where he is more comfortable.

And, since I'm here finishing this up, both the pediatrician and my doctor have been in and say that Claire and I are good to go home today!! So excited to be going home and not spending 6 days in the hospital like we had to with Henry.

Our new family of four. Obviously, expect a million more pictures in the coming week(s).

IMG_9517fb

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design