When McDonald's makes you cry.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013
It's been awhile since I posted any sort of written update on anything not related to pregnancy, so for those curious for more details: how McDonald's made me cry.

Actually, this may be the second time McDonald's has made me cry, now that I think of it. I used to work there, you see, back when I was 15/16. Yes, yes. Everyone laugh.

ANYWAY, I had major jaw surgery the summer before my junior year. They jacked up my schedule, had me schedule during my entire recovery time, and eventually fired me, yes FIRED me (after 2 years and being their best employee) because whoever was in charge didn't believe I had asked off for the days and I missed three in a row, so I was canned. Dumbest story, ever, I know. I'm sure I cried though.

Anyway. Flash forward 13 years to how McDonald's made me cry yesterday.  Henry's enjoyed his McDonald's for a while. Started out with just fries, and we slowly worked our way up to being able to eat a few bites of nuggets, and it was only just recently that he will legitimately finish nearly all 4 of the nuggets in the happy meal.

As he continues to do well at feeding therapy, I've been making a mental list of things I want to make sure we try (and hopefully learn to like) before his eventual dismissal from therapy. Cheeseburgers! (or a hamburger, I guess) were the first thing I thought of. He's been doing some bites of hamburger meat in things like spaghetti and lasagna in the past few weeks, so it was a good transition to continue on the meat path anyway.

So yesterday I got him his usual chicken nugget happy meal and then ordered a single cheeseburger on the side. I debated telling him or not, and eventually I did, to which he of course flipped out over, and told me he didn't want the cheeseburger, he didn't want to take it in and he wasn't going to eat it.

Fair enough. Miss Holly is nothing shy of a miracle worker. I was hoping for a little tiny bite. Which is what his usual first step is with these "harder" foods. I fed Claire in the car for the first part of therapy (who happily downs her whole meal no problem), and then we went in to wait in the waiting room for Henry like we usually do.

After we were in there for 5 minutes, Holly texted me a video. She takes pictures and especially videos of the really "hard" or "surprising" things so Henry can show me. I didn't even have to open up the video, and I already knew what it was, and already had tears streaming down my face. I sat there and played it, crying, in front of just the one other mom in the room while Claire yelled "nen-yen! nen-yen!" (how she says Henry) excitedly, over and over.

A few minutes later, Holly steps in the room to come get me (like she always does, so that Henry can always show me "one more bite" of whatever new thing he tried), and I was still crying, nodding my head that I had just watched the video.

People, that cheeseburger was 3/4 gone. It wasn't just a teeny tiny bite. It was almost.gone. Holly is one of the best things that's happened to us this year.

He does "better" in therapy than he does at home as of late. He'll get very excited to show daddy whatever the new food is in the days after when I make whatever it is, and then he'll kind of shut down and make it difficult to even get a few bites. But we're working on it. We've conquered two different kinds of eggs (hard and scrambled) and hamburger in two different forms in the past 2 weeks since returning from our trip.

One of Holly's strategies with the meat/eggs has been to "check his muscles" which you'll see in the video, I think. He gets a kick out of it, and we've been hitting hard on the whole "protein makes you grow, etc. " and he enjoys having us "check his muscles" and was even super proud of himself when I explained I needed to buy him a size 5 shirt at the gap yesterday. I told him it was because he's growing so fast because of all of his good protein eating :) I know sizing is different for everyone, but people, this kid has NEVER, and I mean NEVER been "ahead" of sizes compared to his age in his entire life. He's pretty much skipped from wearing 3T's in the fall/winter to needing 5T's for anything new I've bought him. And he's up to 33 pounds. :) 

Holly says he's her rockstar student, and he likely won't finish out the year, so to prepare for that, I made a written list of all the things I hope for him to try before he's done, while we obviously continue to frequently introduce them at home, hoping he displays the same ease and comfort he shows with Holly, eventually with us at home.

IMG 3158 from Jenna Sefkow on Vimeo.



Daddy decided Friday night we were celebrating by going out for cheeseburgers. Henry was excited and said he'd eat one. I was going to be happy with just a few bites. :) Most of you saw that video on facebook. He hate a good half, no problem. And in the video declared he wanted "all his friends to see how he eats cheeseburgers". Thank you again to everyone for all your support, congratulations, etc. It means more to me than you probably know :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design