Goodbye blocked tear duct!

Monday, January 26, 2015
Tomorrow is finally the day! We are fixing that right eye!

 


I remember taking Norah into the pediatrician week 1 because (I didn't know at the time, it's why I was taking her in) she had blocked tear ducts in both eyes from birth and they both were super goopy and gross from the start.

"Massage it and it will go away soon".

2 months later.

"Keep massaging it, it will go away on its own."

2 more months later.

"Oh good, one cleared up. Keep working on that right eye."

2 more months later.

"It's really bad today. Let's just give you these drops in case it's pink eye." (makes it worse. not pink eye).

3 months later.

"We should really just wait it out until she's 12 months. These things typically clear up by then.

1 month later.

"Ok, I can see you are pretty frustrated with her eye. Let's go ahead and give you the referral now." 

So, if you do the math, she was about 10-11 months when I got the referral. I failed to call right away, lost the card not once, but twice, and FINALLY had it on the books for November. Only when all the paperwork came, it costed a bit more out of pocket (yes, insurance covered some) then we were able/prepared to spend right before Christmas.

So we put it off.

The eye was awful, awful, awful over Christmas. It basically (with the exception of the past 3 weeks) has looked like she has constantly had pink eye since birth. Awesome.

But, like I said, it's been pretty good as of late. So I was hopeful when I drove her down to the preop appointment last week that the doctor would say she was the magical 1% that clears up past the age of 15 months.

But, no, she wasn't. They put in a yellow tinted dye in their eye, wait about 10 minute and see if it drains. Right eye was still all clogged up. So, surgery tomorrow.

I don't know what the name of the actual procedure is, but they are essentially putting a string down there to unclog the block. It's my understanding the block will grasp/heal/whatever around the string and then the string should fall out on it's own, taking the blockage with it sometime within the next 4 months. So we may not see total relief of symptoms until then.

Minor procedure and a quick procedure. 90something% effective and no lasting side effects other than potentially some minor bruising and bleeding.

But she goes under general anesthesia. That sucks. I had heard stories from others that they got to be with during this part and hold them, but I don't. I have to hand her off with her Ellie Bellie lovey and not see her until she wakes up. She will likely be completely fine (well, not with the separation, that's for sure), but in the health regard, she'll be fine and we will go home.

But I'll still be a basket case. Thankfully it's short. Otherwise I don't know how I'd deal. I still don't know how I'll deal.

And, a few more of the girls because I actually took some pictures the other day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design